Show notes below.
* * *
SOLE PROPERTY OF THE JDRC MEDIA GROUP
* * *
PRELUDE TO EPISODE 9: A MESSAGE FROM THE ABSENT CO-HOST RYAN CLARK
- Present show host Jay Doherty is instructed by the JDRC Media Group to announce the mathematical beauty of the episode number.
- Ryan Clark would like to formally announce to listeners the significance of Episode 9. 9 is a perfect square, the product of 3 multiplied by itself. Thus Episode 9 is special, and thus listeners should take a minute to contemplate the perfection of the system of quantitative enumeration. Ryan Clark would like to formally thank listeners for their contemplation.
NEWS CONCERNING THE ACTIVITIES OF THE WHITE HOUSE OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
- Trump replaces Tillerson with CIA Director
- Donald Trump has fired Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.
- He has chosen CIA Director Pompeo to be Tillerson’s successor.
- The decision comes at a moment in which Trump will begin discussions with North Korea and must decide the fate of the Iran nuclear deal.
- Gina Haspel, who has worked at the CIA for decades, has been appointed to be the new chief of the CIA.
- Haspel and Pompeo will be subject to the advice and consent of the Senate.
- Gina Haspel is 61, and has worked ath CIA since 1985. Last year she became deputy director of the agency. She has served in clandestine operations during most of her career. Because of this, no public records of her existence were known until last year. Many senators have raised issue with her involvement in interrogation techniques labelled as torture by some experts. Democratic Senator Ron Wyden of Oregon said that her background “makes her unsuitable” for the position, and Republican Senator John McCain of Arizona demanded assurances from Haspel that she would follow public guidelines prohibiting torture.
- Mike Pompeo was selected because his views more closely align with Trump’s. He is skeptical of North Korea and opposes the Iran nuclear accord. Pompeo is a Harvard Law graduate and former Army officer who graduated at the top of his class from West Point. He is viewed as espousing a more aggressive stance on diplomacy with North Korea than Tillerson.
- Tillerson and Trump disagreed on key issues like the Iran nuclear agreement, talks with North Korea, terrorist financing among nations of the Persian Gulf, and the Paris climate agreement. Tillerson also called Trump “moron” at a meeting in the Pentagon.
- The White House places new sanctions on Russia due to its election meddling and cyberattacks on critical American infrastructure.
- The sanctions target nineteen individuals and five entities.
- National security officials accuse the Kremlin of attacking American aviation, manufacturing, energy, and water facilities with computer attacks.
- Experts say the poisoning of Russian double agent Sergei Skripal (which the JDRC Media Group reported in Episode 8 of the JDRC Politics Podcast) likely prompted the new sanctions. Analysts also say the efforts are unlikely to deter Russia.
- The Trump administration has received heavy criticism over its lack of action against Russia.
- The White House is preparing a collection of measures to pressure China to eliminate requirements forcing American companies to transfer technology to Chinese firms.
- The Trump administration has found that Beijing is violating US intellectual-property legislation and unfairly coerces American corporations to take their technology to within China.
- The measures in consideration are tariffs of at least an annual $30 billion on a range of Chinese products, restrictions on Chinese investment in the US, limitations on visas for students, academics, and business officials from China, and a potential filing of a case at the World Trade Organization.
- The measures are expected to be announced in the next fortnight.
OTHER ACTIVITIES OF THE GOVERNMENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
- Mueller subpoenas the Trump Organization
- Special counsel Robert Mueller has ordered the Trump Organization, Donald Trump’s real estate company, to submit documents related to possible Russia collusion.
- The documents consist of papers and e-mails from top officials of the company that contain keywords relating to Russia.
- The Trump Organization has been voluntarily submitting documents for months.
- Mueller has interviewed witnesses about the Trump Organization’s business operations in Russia. The Special Counsel also has investigated Trump’s former efforts to create a skyscraper in Russia.
- An attorney for the company named Michael Cohen also contacted President Vladimir Putin’s highest-ranking press officials to request assistance in creating a deal for the skyscraper.
- Democrat Conor Lamb wins Pennsylvania special-election for the House.
- With a victory of only a few hundred votes, Lamb claims the new seat.
- The election was seen as a test of whether Democrats will be able to gain control over Congress in the midterm elections.
- The special election arose after Representative Tim Murphy resigned, an action prompted after it came to light that he had asked a women he was engaged in an affair with to get an abortion while publicly condemning abortion.
NEWS CONCERNING THE POLITICS OF THE NATIONS OF EARTH
- The Communist party of China expands powers for policing of government officials.
- With its newly created powers, China can now detain government corruption suspects without a lawyer. Moreover, the new powers have jurisdiction at all levels of Chinese government, including mere school officials and train conductors.
- The following is an opinion of the JDRC Media Group: Italian citizens are now figuring out that delusional and crazed populist parties are horrible at actually governing because now the government won’t fix anything and there is trash everywhere in Rome.